Warm weather and soup don’t usually go together, but asparagus is at its peak this month, and with a bright squeeze of citrus, this refreshing and simple soup is the perfect thing to make as we welcome in early summer nights. I worked from a Once Upon a Chef recipe, subbing in top-8-free ingredients and modifying it a bit to work better with those ingredients.
Please note: This post may contain affiliate links to featured products for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of the links, I may receive a small commission, at zero extra cost to you. Win-win!
- Large stock pot
- Immersion blender or regular blender
- 3 tbsp vegan, soy-free, nut-free butter substitute
- 1 sweet yellow onion, such as Vidalia, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, skinned and smashed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bunches fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into one-inch pieces
- 6 cups soy-free, gluten-free chicken stock
- Juice of one lemon (about 2 tbsp)
- ½ cup shredded vegan, nut-free, soy-free parmesan substitute, such as Violife Just Like Parm
- Melt the butter substitute in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, then season with salt and pepper and cook until onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add the chopped asparagus, then the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until asparagus is very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender (if you don't have an immersion blender, you can transfer it carefully to a regular blender and puree in batches).
- Return soup to pot, stir in lemon juice and the vegan parmesan cheese.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with asparagus tops and more vegan parmesan and serve hot.