If you’ve never tried making mac and cheese in your rice cooker – and honestly, why would you? I was only compelled to do so because my kitchen is under construction and it’s one of my only available appliances – this is your official confirmation that it comes together like magic and couldn’t possibly be easier.
All of the ingredients get stirred together directly in your rice cooker insert, you set it to “steam,” and 20 minutes later, you have the most delicious, perfectly al dente, ooey, gooey, cheezy mac ever – minus gluten and dairy ingredients. This one’s going in our regular rotation, even when I have my fully-functional kitchen back. Yep, it’s that good.
One thing to note is that in my experience, this did not re-heat well, so plan to serve and enjoy right away.
Please note: This post includes affiliate links to featured products for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of the links, I may receive a small commission, at zero extra cost to you. Win-win!
- 2½ cups gluten-free macaroni (I used Jovial)
- 3½ tsp gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1½ cups oat milk (I used Oatly)
- 1 tbsp dairy-free, soy-free butter alternative (I used Earth Balance soy-free)
- 1 tbsp vegan, soy-free mayonnaise (I used Chosen Vegan Mayo)
- 1½ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ cup vegan, soy-free cheddar cheese (I used Violife Just Like Cheddar Shreds)
- ½ cup vegan, soy-free mozzarella cheese (I used Violife Just Like Mozzarella Shreds)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup hot water
- chopped chives, for optional garnish
- Place pasta, gluten-free flour and oat milk in your rice cooker insert, then stir to dissolve flour.
- Add Earth Balance, mayo, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, grated cheese alternatives, paprika and hot water, then stir again to combine.
- Place insert into rice cooker, close lid, set to the "steam" setting for 20 minutes, and hit "start."
- After 10 minutes, open the lid and carefully stir the pasta, then close lid and allow it to steam for the remainder of the time.
- When timer goes off, carefully open lid, stir, garnish with snipped chives if desired, and serve right away.