Here’s a guaranteed way to make friends on Halloween (trust me, because I’ve done this): Whip up a batch of this Mulled Cider, have a bottle of gluten-free rum and some vegan whipped cream handy, and offer a cup to adults as they walk their kids around for Trick or Treat.
I like to use Soergel’s Orchards famous cider, plus whole spices like cinnamon sticks and star anise pods, add in some sliced winter citrus, and let the flavors combine on the stove. Then I strain it and (this part is optional) top it off with gluten-free rum (I use Maggie’s Farm Rum) and some vegan, soy-free whipped cream (I like So Delicious Coco Whip) for an allergy-friendly treat that’s sure to warm you (and your neighbors) to the core.
- Large saucepan
- Large, glass heat-safe bowl
- Heat-safe glasses, such as glass mugs or highballs
- 6 cups apple cider (check ingredients for your allergens)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup dark rum (check ingredients for your allergens)
- vegan, soy-free whipped cream (such as SoDelicious CocoWhip)
- cinnamon sticks
- whole star anise
- orange slices
- Place the cider, cinnamon stick, star anise and lemon and orange slices into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer for about 20 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
- Carefully pour the liquid through a mesh strainer into a large, glass heat-safe bowl.
- Add the rum to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Ladle rum into heat-safe glasses, such as high ball glasses.
- Garnish each glass with a slice of orange, dollop of vegan-soy-free whipped cream, star anise and cinnamon stick.