It’s about to get dark in a literal sense as clocks turn back this Sunday, so let’s brighten things up! This soup is the perfect thing to serve to kick off cozy season and shake off cold weather blues. It delivers a burst of flavor, delightful seasonal colors, plus tons of nutritional value with ingredients like carrots, ginger, garlic, coconut milk and plentiful spices.
Please note: This post may include affiliate links to featured products for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of the links, I may receive a small commission, at zero extra cost to you. Win-win!
- Large stock pot
- Cutting board
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, tops removed and chopped into approximately ½-in pieces
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed to about the same size as your carrot pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce can of coconut milk
- snipped chives
- fresh pomegranate seeds
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot.
- Add garlic and shallot and cook until fragrant.
- Add ginger and stir to combine, cooking for about another 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, then salt, cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika and red pepper flakes and stir to combine.
- Place lid on stock pot and allow carrots to soften, stirring periodically, for approximately 15 minutes.
- Pour stock and coconut milk into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until carrots and potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Use an immersion blender to puree, or, working in batches, carefully puree in a conventional blender.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with snipped chives and fresh pomegranate seeds.