What’s Easter without a decadent, creamy, bubbly, cheesy potato dish? In my husband’s family, it’s just not the same without my mother-in-law’s “Pittsburgh Potatoes,” filled to the brim with a creamy sour cream sauce and cheddar cheese, topped with crushed Ritz crackers. It’s absolutely delicious.
Since I found out I have a severe dairy intolerance, I’ve had to go without. But this year, thanks to my Instagram followers, I was challenged to create Scalloped Potatoes free of the top 8 allergens. It sounds impossible – how do you make some estimation of the iconic English dish without butter, cream, and cheese? Luckily, there are so many good substitutions available now: Soy-Free Earth Balance takes the place of butter, Oatly’s Gluten-Free Oat Milk replaces cream and Violife’s Just Like Cheddar Shreds bubble and brown up just like real cheddar. Bake up a pan for your Easter celebration – but don’t be surprised if you’re asked to make it every year.
Please note: This post includes affiliate links to featured products for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of the links, I may receive a small commission, at zero extra cost to you. Win-win!
- 9×13” baking dish
- Large saute pan
- 2 tbsp Soy-Free Earth Balance
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried thyme or tarragon
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour (I use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Flour)
- 1 cup chicken stock (I use Kitchen Basics)
- 1.5 cups alternative plant-based milk (I used Oatly Gluten-Free Oat Milk for its creaminess)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (check ingredients for your allergens)
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 3 cups Violife Just Like Cheddar shreds (I bought two bags and used most of it – any Violife shreds could work here, just check for your allergens. The cheddar contains coconut and corn)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the baking dish with Soy-Free Earth Balance.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of Soy-Free Earth Balance in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onions and cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, smoked paprika and thyme and stir to combine.
- Add the gluten-free flour and stir until the garlic and onions are coated.
- Slowly add the chicken stock while stirring with a whisk and bring to a simmer.
- Add the dairy-free milk while continuing to whisk the mixture.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Layer half of the potato rounds in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Cover with half of the cream sauce, then sprinkle on half of the Violife Cheddar Shreds.
- Top with another layer of potatoes, then cream sauce, then shreds.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes, until the shreds are melted, bubbling and starting to brown.
- Garnish with fresh thyme if you have it, and serve warm.