I was recently shopping at Whole Foods and came across Jovial’s new gluten-free brown rice pasta shape, Mafalda, that looks just like mini lasagna noodles, and immediately started dreaming about a gluten-free, dairy-free lasagna soup.
After some experimentation, I have the recipe ready for you. It comes together in one pot (you add the noodles and let them cook in the broth), and has all of the nostalgic flavors of lasagna without the long cook time. Whip up a pot of this on a gloomy, cold weeknight. It’s sure to brighten the mood!
- Large stock pot
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound soy-free mild Italian sausage (ground if you can get it, or if you can only get links, remove casings and use like you would ground)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- ½ cup minced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 pound Jovial Brown Rice Mafalda (check for your allergens) or other frilly gluten-free pasta
- vegan, soy-free, nut-free ricotta cheese (or Violife Just Like Mozzarella Shreds)
- Place the ground beef and ground sausage into a large stock pot over medium heat, season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste and cook until brown, then turn off heat.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to allow grease to drain (there will still be some grease left in the pot, depending on how much fat is in the meat. Leave about 1 tbsp of the grease in the pot to cook your veggies in, but drain the rest.)
- Place onion and garlic in the crock pot and return heat to medium. Season with more salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is slightly translucent but not browned, and the mixture is fragrant.
- Return the drained meat to the pot, then stir in tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning and broth, and bring to a boil.
- Add dry noodles and cook until noodles are tender, about 9 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Ladel soup into bowls and top with vegan cheese if desired.