One of my favorite kitchen appliances, second only to my slow cooker, is my Zojirushi Rice Cooker. I’ve used it countless times to make plain basmati, jasmine and brown rice, but only recently discovered that I can use liquid other than water to infuse the grains with delicious flavor. This recipe, specifically formulated for a rice cooker, does all the cooking for you and creates a fragrant, fluffy, tropical side-dish for all of your grilled creations. While it cooks, may I suggest grilling up some Garlic-Lime Chicken? The flavors complement each other beautifully, making the perfect summer meal that requires zero use of your stove or oven.
- 1½ cups white basmati or jasmine rice
- 1 13.5 ounce can of full-fat coconut milk, mixed well
- 1¼ cups water
- ¼ tsp salt
- zest and juice of one lime
- chopped cilantro
- black beans, rinsed and drained
- Rinse rice thoroughly until water runs clear.
- Place rice, coconut milk, water, salt, lime zest and lime juice in your rice cooker insert, stir to combine, place insert in rice cooker and close lid.
- Set rice cooker to “white rice” setting and hit “start.”
- When the rice is done cooking, carefully open the rice cooker (be careful, the steam is hot), fluff with a fork, garnish with black beans and cilantro and serve.