Last summer, when I was looking to add more easy, vegetarian meals into my family’s dinner rotation, I consulted my friend Kelly, the mastermind behind The Family Freezer. She sent me a version of Chickpea Tikka Masala that’s very similar to the one I included below, and I’ve been stocking my freezer with bags of it for busy weeknights ever since. I love that with chickpeas for protein, green peas for veggies and coconut milk for healthy fat, it’s a fully balanced meal all on its own. I like to serve it with Basmati or Jasmine rice.
Refreshing Dairy-Free Mango Lassis would be a fantastic accompaniment to this meal, especially if you’re serving it in the summertime.
This meal can be made into a freezer meal (see “Make it a freezer meal” instructions below.) To make freezer meal prep easier, I suggest investing in baggy stands to hold your freezer bags upright, and reusable freezer bags to cut down on single use plastics.
Please note: This post includes affiliate links to featured products for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of the links, I may receive a small commission, at zero extra cost to you. Win-win!
- 2 13.5 ounce cans or boxes of garbanzo beans
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 small knob of ginger, minced
- 1 15 ounce can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 15 ounce can of plain tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Place all ingredients into your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for four hours on low.
To make it a freezer meal:
- Add all ingredients to a freezer-safe bag, remove as much air as possible, seal and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve it, defrost in the refrigerator and then follow steps 1 and 2 above.